- Looking to hire?
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- Client portal
- About us
Cyber Security Engineer
At Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), we're here to provide for the Army, the Royal Navy, and the Royal Air Force, as they serve our country all over the world.
Are you a Cyber Security Engineer looking to support decision making across the lifecycle of multiple complex projects? We, at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), currently have several exciting opportunities for Cyber Security Engineers to work within our Internal Technical Support (ITS) team.
We provide specialist security and information assurance support to a huge variety of projects including the 'Challenger 3' Battle Tank development and other Military Platforms. This covers combat aircraft and armoured vehicles to submarines, aircraft carriers and land-based communications. DE&S ensures the UK military have access to equipment with world leading capabilities that is resilient to cyber-attacks. This team makes a big difference to projects integral to supporting our Armed Forces!
Our team works closely with clients across a range of delivery teams as intelligent decision makers and subject matter experts (SMEs). Working within this challenging, fast-moving, and ever-changing environment, we offer great opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge with us to build a career in Cyber. You will be empowered to provide guidance and advice on areas including information risk management, architecture development, security accreditation, threat analysis, cryptography and information technology assessment within agreed time frames and budgets.
We are keen to attract, develop and retain Cyber Security Engineers, therefore we will support and encourage your development in the following areas:
* Gaining CCP status at Practitioner level or above
* Knowledge of defence equipment & systems
* Knowledge and application of ICT/Security/Defence standards e.g., JSP/NIST/ISO27001 etc
* Information risk management
* Knowledge of evolving digital technology/applications e.g., AI/Digital twins/Quantum computing etc
Cyber Security Engineers can choose their permanent workstation from the list below:
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH
Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX
MOD Manchester, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD
Due to security requirements, these posts are open to sole UK Nationals only.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
As a Cyber Security Engineer in our ITS team you will be empowered to:
* Develop artefacts and evidence used in the assessment of cyber risk, and considering the implications of changes to equipment design, offering mitigation advice in the process
* Build strong working relationships across all areas of the business, including interfacing with authorities like the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)
* Engage with internal and external stakeholders, to gain an understanding of their requirements and translate these into an agreed set of deliverables and outputs
* Implement and effectively develop cyber security guidance, policy, and tools
* Convert business objectives into tangible outputs and support the mitigation of the strategic cyber risk
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a relevant Level 4 qualification (e.g., HNC or Foundation Degree) in an Engineering or Science subject or demonstrate equivalent experience.
* You will demonstrate the ability to manage multiple projects and deliver to agreed expectations
* You will demonstrate the ability to prioritise and manage risk
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* EFCF4 - Technical Decision Making (Supervised Practitioner)
* EFCF5 - Technical Risk Management (Supervised Practitioner)
* Communicating and influencing
* Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
Please note, our salary bands are under review and may increase. If the outcome of the review results in an increase in the minimum salary and your salary offer falls below the new minimum, your salary will be increased to the new amount from your contracted start date. If the new minimum is less than the salary you are offered,
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.