- Looking to hire?
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- Client portal
- About us
The work of a DE&S Analytics Manager has become highly visible and delivers demonstrable value. You'll be leading work that aligns to our overarching MI & Data Analytics strategy and delivers analytical solutions for business needs. You will be able to bring your entire skillset to the role from data wrangling to Machine Learning, from developing innovative new data science capabilities, to embedding reproducible analytical pipelines.
If you have professional experience of delivering excellent data science outputs in support of Management Information and Business Intelligence programmes, this could be the perfect opportunity to progress your career in an engaging, complex, and exciting organisation. We offer outstanding training and development opportunities, defined progression routes, and a host of other benefits including our 'Smarter Working' policy, which means that you'll be able to enjoy a high degree of flexible working whilst also having the opportunity to work at our MOD Abbey Wood campus.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
- Lead a team of Associate Data Scientists to ensure high quality work is delivered that meets the needs of the business and required standards.
- Perform complex exploratory data analysis using tools and techniques to interrogate unfamiliar data sets, highlighting any discrepancies, and ensuring it is suitable for data science.
- Apply Machine Learning, e.g., Random Forests, NLP & Neural Networks to share insights with Stakeholders to influence business decisions.
- Use best data science practices to generate reproducible work and provide project inputs or consultancy and stakeholder engagement.
- Manage the development of updates to existing models & tooling and maintain operational resilience and investigate complex errors and/or unusual results.
- Adhere to the data science ethics framework and follow the Defence Data Strategy and direction.
- Be responsible for providing challenge from a data science perspective and collaborate with other analytical professionals, to provide collective insights and grow DE&S capability.
- Regularly use intellectual curiosity to explore data, models, and software applications to support data mining and more efficient data manipulation and visualisation, whilst mentoring others.
- Active participation in the DE&S MI and Data Analytics community and in the wider MoD Analysis Function and Data Science community.
- Recruit, train and develop Associate Data Scientists to build capability within the Function.
- Fulfil Primary Delivery Manager responsibilities for your direct reports.
- Perform Functional Development Officer role to improve capability within the function and participate in other function activities.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- High level of experience in Data Science.
- Strong experience of the Python coding language and familiarity with Anaconda ecosystem or similar environment and package management tooling.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Degree in Data Science, Statistics, Computer Science or Mathematical Science.
- Experience of Spyder and Jupyter Notebook IDEs.
- Experience of providing advice and guidance, with proven storytelling and data visualisation within large organisations.
- Experience of managing or leading a team of junior data scientists.