- Looking to hire?
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- Client portal
- About us
Quality Assurance Engineer
We have an exciting opportunity for a Quality Assurance Engineer to join our Defence Quality Assurance Field Force (DQA-FF) here at DE&S.
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces to deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We have an exciting opportunity for a Quality Assurance Engineer to join our Defence Quality Assurance Field Force (DQA-FF) here at DE&S. This is an amazing opportunity to be involved in a variety of high profile and technically complex defence programmes, whilst being supported to develop your skills!
This exciting opportunity will involve working within small teams of MOD Licensed and Chartered Quality Professionals and is an extremely varied position. Areas of activity include shipbuilding, submarine maintenance, complex electronics including sighting and thermal imaging systems, explosives and propellants as well as general engineering and manufacturing.
As a Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer, you will provide engineering and quality assurance advice to support our acquisition and engineering managers. You will be supported and encouraged to develop your specialist knowledge through a structured development program to help you achieve your MOD QA Practitioner Licence and progress towards becoming Chartered Quality Professional. In addition, this role will help you to develop a breadth of skills as outlined by the UK SPEC requirements for IENG.
You will be empowered to work with a high degree of autonomy and able to plan your working time, however there will be a requirement for short periods of detached duty in the UK, which will involve overnight stays.
As a Quality Assurance Engineer, your main responsibilities will include:
* Develop QA surveillance and assurance plans in response to supplier, supply chain and technical risk
* Conduct and manage the delivery of QA surveillance in support of risk management, supplier oversight/assurance, verification, validation and acceptance
* Provide expert advice and guidance to delivery teams concerning technical and supplier risk
* Support pre-contract award activities and provide specialist technical services (e.g. aircraft flight indemnity in support of Defence Condition 638)
* Implement and contribute to MOD Quality Assurance policy for procurement
* Contribute to quality investigations, root cause analysis, internal process performance improvement activities and supplier escalations/interventions
This role may require periods of working in isolation and can be physically demanding with the potential for irregular hours. It may involve periods of working at defence suppliers during equipment manufacture and involve working at heights or in confined spaces.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Have a relevant Level 4 (or higher) engineering or science qualification or demonstrate equivalent experience
* Demonstrate a breadth of industry/manufacturing and quality assurance experience gained from involvement with multiple projects
* Have experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Have applied knowledge of Quality Assurance within the acquisition environment.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance - Supervised Practitioner
* Technical Risk Management - Supervised Practitioner
* Making effective decisions