- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- About us
Database Administrator / Developer
A Database Administrator / Developer is required on a perm basis based in Canary Wharf, London. This role will pay between £45,000 and £55,000 p/a plus great benefits.
Working for a leading Energy organisation, the Database Administrator / Developer will operate within the UK-based IT team that supports, maintains and develops a broad range of Energy Management Solutions to support GEM UK's critical trading, risk management, market operations and customer-focused activities. The primary purpose of the role is to maintain and support various critical database systems to ensure performance, availability and information security as well to design, build and maintain a range of business intelligence / management information solutions.
Responsibilities will include -
- Act as the lead information architect for commercial information systems;
- Manage the investigation of corporate data requirements and coordinate the application of data analysis and data modelling techniques, based upon a detailed understanding of the corporate information requirements, in order to establish, modify or maintain data structures and their associated components (entity descriptions, relationship descriptions, attribute definitions).
- Develop standards for data analysis tools and techniques;
- Develop and maintain specialist knowledge of database concepts, object and data modelling techniques and design principles and a detailed knowledge of database architectures, software and facilities.
- Manage a variety of critical databases to ensure reliability, performance and security of information access;
- Manage database configuration including installing and upgrading software;
- Develop database maintenance procedures and support documentation.
- Optimise database performance and plans for forecast resource needs.
- Identify research and evaluate emerging technologies;Knowledge and skills required -
- Excellent understanding of information systems concepts and practice and, especially, of object and data modelling, databases and database management systems, and the use of information as a resource.
- Expert knowledge of relational database technologies, eg SQL Server / Oracle;
- Expert knowledge of data transformation techniques and technologies;
- Good knowledge of multi-environment systems, including Standby and DR;
- Good knowledge of a variety of commercial systems and applications, particularly Trading and information management systems
- Application support, maintenance, including installation and testing;
- Application deployment via Citrix / Terminal Servers;
- Software development techniques and principals using a high level programming language, eg Visual Basic
- Good knowledge of a variety of commercial systems and applications, particularly trading, finance and general business;
- Good knowledge of technology so as to be able to select optimal solutions to business problems;Experience required -
- Extensive experience in database support, maintenance and design in commercial/administrative/industrial working environments
- Significant practical experience of developing, using or supporting Oracle and/or MS-SQL Server databases
- Significant experience in directly supporting, maintaining and developing applications in a Microsoft environment, including developing software applications in a commercial environment
- Exposure to trading and risk management systems in commodity markets.
- Experience of delivering business outcomes and meet performance criteria
- Experience in assistance of developing and implementing operational processes and procedures
- Experience of working effectively in a small team environment
- Experience of the technical and commercial operation of different power generation technologies
This role will pay between £45,000 and £55,000 p/a plus great benefits.
Networkers acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Networkers and may assist with processing your application.