- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- About us
IP Networks Engineer
A leading Defence Contractor requires an IP Networks Engineer to join their team on an initial 12 month contract basis based in Christchurch, Dorset.
You will be working as a member of the Apex team, specialising in computer network engineering and supporting management systems. The role will require the undertaking of a variety of tasks supporting both the networks and systems managed and maintained by Apex, as well as supporting various connecting projects from across the business.
- Developing detailed configuration designs, testing, implementation and integration plans.
- Provide detailed documentation and drawings of all work under taken and all elements of network design within an existing structured change control process.
- Implementation of change (configuration and hardware) and effective and timely delivery of complex network and associated IT infrastructure solutions within a strong and detailed Information Assured environment.
- Being customer focused, and achieving customer delivery milestones.
- 3rd Line on-site out-of-band and remote in-band support into key projects and services.
- Provide support for the end-to-end deployment of convergent carrier class network services.
- Thorough investigation, including leveraging both existing and emerging technology trends, to evaluate and improve products or systems.
- Follow defined engineering good practices, internal and external, as well as defined Company policies, and procedures.
- Be pro-active and willing to develop a deep understanding of the services we offer, how we support them, and how they can be developed in our bespoke marketplace.
- Verifiable, recent and active certification in relevant discipline (e.g. Cisco or CompTIA), or holds suitable and relevant qualifications.
- Be able to fault find and resolve issues in a production environment to a successful conclusion.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server platforms.
- Familiar with and can work quickly and concisely with Microsoft Visio, Word and Excel, and Outlook products.
- Willing to travel throughout the UK as part of the role, and holds a valid driving license.
- Holds a valid verifiable MoD SC or DV clearance.
- Have previously worked in the UK Defence Industry, or relevant Military Unit.
- Is a member of or is certified by a recognised Information Assurance body or society.
- Be able to plan and document relevant maintenance procedures and processes.
- Have previously performed a production network design role with consideration for Virtualisation.
Required Demonstrable and Testable knowledge of:
- Layer 2 switched networks and Layer 3 routed networks.
- Functional domain knowledge in MPLS, OSPF, EIGRP, and RIP routing protocols.
- Be able to stand up and support VRF, MPLS, L2TP, GRE, and VSS technologies.
- Experience in the provisioning of BT MPLS and ADSL services.
- Virtual Private Networking including IP Security (IPsec) and the provisioning of Public Key Infrastructure Certification Authorities.
- Experience with Cisco ASA, ASR, ISR G2, or 2900 series technologies.
- Experience in using network management protocols, such as SNMP, SSH, SysLog, ICMP, and full packet capture and analysis techniques.
Desirable knowledge of:
- Multicast IP traffic, including configuration of Rendezvous Points, and IGMP configuration.
- IPSwitch What's Up Gold, Tenable Networks Nessus and L3 TRL products.
- Design and implementation of Data Centre, Campus and SME office architectures.
- Configuring Active Directory domain structures including Group Policy and Security Footprint analysis.
- VMware ESXi (vSphere or CLI management), Virtualised Switching, and NFS network attached storage.
- Deploying and supporting Microsoft Server SQL.
- HP ProLiant DL series platforms.
- Be very hands-on, pragmatic and can work well under pressure.
- Ability to work well as part of an existing team covering various elements of networks / system implementation, upgrade and repair.
- Ability to cope with evolving requirements.
- Ability to effectively prioritise work in line with customer needs.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within a team.
- Ability to effectively estimate, plan and carry out work packages within time boxes.
- Highly motivated, proactive, excellent problem solving skills and excellent customer rapport.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
Networkers acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Networkers and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.