- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview Advice
- About us
System Administration Engineer
System Adminstrator - Canary Wharf - £40000
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a System Administrator to join one of the world's leading shipping organisations.
The System Administration Engineer works closely with the other members of the Infrastructure team to provide a reliable and highly available service.
The System Administration Engineer provides an IT infrastructure which allows the required business applications to run within Europe and Globally where required.
- Responsible for planning, designing and installing (in some cases) the release of new technologies.
- Together with third party partners is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
- The System Administration Engineer ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff to perform their job.
- The System Administration Engineer will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and [planning phases of projects. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design.
- Support of third-party partners' staff in executing, testing and rolling-out new solutions.
- The System Administration Engineer is accountable for the following systems: Citrix, Windows, SQL and AS400 systems that support the European infrastructure.
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Responsible for troubleshooting server problems as reported by users.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends software and hardware products.
- Supports Web access and electronic messaging services and maintains a secure systems environment.
- Provides new hardware specifications to users based on application needs and anticipated growth, installs new servers and maintains the server infrastructure.
- Works with NBSE's Infrastructure team, IT Support departments and members of the information security team to identify, select and implement technical controls.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Together with the rest of the infrastructure department perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes.
- Where appropriate apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
Knowledge and Skills
- At least 4 years of System Administration experience.
- Knowledge of network infrastructure, including routers, switches, firewalls, and the associated network protocols and concepts.
- Knowledge of Active Directory, Group Policy configuration, DNS and DHCP
- Experience in developing, documenting and maintaining network policies, processes, procedures and standards.
- Evidence of organisational skills and team coordination
- Excellent communication skills
- Some appropriate technical certification in Citrix and Windows.
- Excellent technical knowledge of mainstream operating systems [mainly Microsoft Windows] and a wide range of security technologies, such as network security appliances, identity and access management (IAM) systems, anti-malware solutions and desktop security tools.
- Managing deployments/rollouts.
- Managing large scale Citrix/Terminal Server installations.
- A solid understanding of LAN/WAN networking
- Positive, self-motivated individual who can complete tasks independently.
Networkers acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Networkers and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
Top in IT Infrastructure
- 6 skills that could boost your .NET developer salary
Learning new skills and obtaining certifications can have a significant impact on your annual income. Find out how can...
- Experts needed to help organisations migrate IT services to the cloud
As businesses look to migrate their IT services to the cloud, Andy Slater comments on how skilled cloud professionals can he...