- About us
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Interview Advice
- Work for us
We are looking for a Software Architect for our client, Unisys, to be located in Milton Keynes, to work as part of a team supporting Public Sector clients in the UK and Europe.
Unisys is seeking a Software Architect to work as part of a team supporting Public Sector clients in the UK and Europe. Our Software Architects undertake a range of activities, including supporting development and delivery teams as well as undertaking pre-sales work, providing technical sign-off on bids and proposals and carrying out consultancy engagements.
A current focus of the role is to work with the business and client to design the key technical components of a Unisys product that provides records management and workflow functionality specifically to the Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security industry segment and help technical resources develop and deliver project deliverables related to this product.
We are looking for a Software Architect who is capable of designing complex systems with a focus on meeting business requirements, manageability, scalability, interoperability and futureproofing.
This is an exciting role giving you the opportunity to drive the technical strategy and architecture of a core Unisys offering to the Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security community.
Role and Objectives
* Have responsibility for the overall architecture of Unisys products and applications ensure teams are developing in line with the overall architectural road map
* Establish architectural standards and align developers and support staff with these standards
* Recognize and solve complex technical, scalability or redundancy related challenges
* Educate the Unisys teams on architectural best practices and encourage developers to create common services and maximize reuse of components
* Consult with all Unisys and client stakeholders towards delivering business requirements and maximising the value proposition of the Unisys products and solutions
* Provide technical and commercial support for sales activity and bid teams working on new or existing accounts
* Provide ownership and governance for, as well as approval of, all technical design documentation
* Review and identify risks and issues, recommending and implementing long term solutions where possible
* Lead technology decisions on the roadmap for Unisys products and solutions
* Work with Business Analysts, UX designers, etc. to understand needs, constraints & opportunities
* Participate, and lead, when needed, technical design workshops both internally and externally
* Actively participate and contribute to technical and business review meetings, proposing innovative solutions to handle problem-resolution, improving overall performance, quality and user satisfaction.
* Responsible for code standards for development work. Manage and supervise regular code reviews, proposing optimised and updated solutions to improve quality and performance
* Strong knowledge of software development lifecycles, systems engineering and business process re-engineering
* In-depth understanding of Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security industry segment business processes
* Ability to work closely and in full collaboration with the business and cross-functional teams to determine and architect solutions that deliver business value
* Able to interact and communicate effectively and clearly with all levels of staff in both the business and technical areas, internally and in client organisations, with the ability to keep discussions at the appropriate level of detail
* Able to be a Customer Advocate, with experience supporting mission critical services
* Strong client-facing skills
* Able to prioritise work activities and identify risks to quality or timelines
* Can maintain a strategic focus to understand the value proposition of Unisys products and solutions
* Be comfortable remaining 'hands-on' through undertaking development, code reviews or architecture design, when necessary.
* Minimum 15 years of experience in IT
* 8+ years of experience in development, engineering and architecture with 'hands-on' experience in full-stack development, design and architecture
* 3+ years' experience of projects in a hands on technical leadership position
* 3+ years working as an Architect
* Have undertaken the role of an Architect in 2-3 large projects (value £5m+)
* Public Sector Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security industry experience preferred
* Project management experience preferred
* Have experience working in development environments using continuous delivery and continuous integration
* Proven experience developing and architecting .Net applications, including those with a service orientated approach
* Experience in key open-source technologies such as PostgreSQL
* Expert level of .Net frameworks 3.5 & 4, C#
* Strong working knowledge of, Web Services, HTML5 and CSS
* CCNP or CCIE Certified or equivalent
* ITIL Understanding, ideally ITIL Foundation Qualified
* Innovative, creative problem solver with an eye for attention to detail and accuracy.
* Ability to consistently work to high levels of quality
* A self-starter with the ability to work independently
* Good team player, with strong communication, presentation, documentation and influencing skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication
Candidates must be eligible for, and will be required to obtain, SC clearance for this post (already having clearance is advantageous)
Popular fields of work
- Telecommunications jobs in Germany
Why is the telecommunications market booming in Germany? And what job opportunities are available for the global telco...
- Why microservices are getting bigger
Find out how microservices compare to monolith applications and what this means for the development skills employers are loo...
Top in Development
- Top tips for IT job interviews
Even the most qualified job seeker needs to be well prepared for job interviews, read our top tips to ensure you make a grea...
- Why the UK is a top destination for tech professionals
Why is the UK so attractive to tech professionals? Where are the best locations for tech jobs in the UK? And what location m...