- About us
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Interview Advice
- Work for us
Java Designer Developer
We are currently looking for an experienced Java Designer Developer for our client, Unisys in Milton Keynes, to work as part of their team supporting Public Sector clients in the UK and Europe.
As Java Designer Developer, you will undertake a range of activities, including supporting development and delivery teams, dealing with software problems and advising on the integration of Unisys products with other systems.
A current focus of the role is to work with the business and client to design the key technical components of a Unisys product that provides records management and workflow functionality specifically to the Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security industry segment and help technical resources develop and deliver project deliverables related to this product.
This is an exciting role giving you the opportunity to contribute to the technical strategy and architecture of a core Unisys offering to the Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security community.
Role and Objectives
- Establish software architectural standards and align developers and support staff with these standards and ensure teams are developing in line with the overall architectural road map.
- Recognize and solve complex technical, scalability or redundancy related challenges
- Educate the Unisys teams on architectural best practices and encourage developers to create common services and maximize reuse of components
- Consult with all Unisys and client stakeholders towards delivering business requirements and maximising the value proposition of the Unisys products and solutions
- Provide ownership and governance for, as well as approval of, technical design documentation
- Review and identify risks and issues, recommending and implementing long term solutions where possible
- Work with Business Analysts, UX designers, etc. to understand needs, constraints & opportunities
- Participate, and lead, when needed, technical design workshops both internally and externally
- Actively participate and contribute to technical and business review meetings, proposing innovative solutions to handle problem-resolution, improving overall performance, quality and user satisfaction.
- Manage and supervise regular code reviews, proposing optimised and updated solutions to improve quality and performance
- Strong knowledge of software development lifecycles, systems engineering and business process re-engineering
- In-depth understanding of Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security industry segment business processes
- Fully aware of market trends and developing technologies
- Ability to work closely and in full collaboration with the business and cross-functional teams to determine and architect solutions that deliver business value
- Able to interact and communicate effectively and clearly with all levels of staff in both the business and technical areas, internally and in client organisations, with the ability to keep discussions at the appropriate level of detail
- Able to be a Customer Advocate, with experience supporting mission critical services
- Strong client-facing skills
- Able to prioritise work activities and identify risks to quality or timelines
- Can maintain a strategic focus to understand the value proposition of Unisys products and solutions
- Be comfortable remaining 'hands-on' through undertaking development, code reviews or architecture design, when necessary.
- Proven experience in product development or project development
- Have experience working in Java development environments using continuous delivery and continuous integration
- Expert in Java technologies and frameworks, such as Wildfly (JBoss), JAXB, JSP, JSTL, JQuery and Java POJO's
- Proven experience developing and architecting Java-based enterprise level applications, including those with a service orientated approach
- Experience in key open-source technologies such as PostgreSQL
- Minimum 15 years of experience in IT
- 8+ years of experience in development, engineering and architecture with 'hands-on' experience in full-stack development, design and architecture.
- 3+ years' experience of projects in a hands on technical leadership position
- Have undertaken the role of an Architect in 2-3 large projects (value £5m+).
- Public Sector Justice, Law Enforcement and Border Security industry experience preferred
- Project management experience preferred.
- Innovative, creative problem solver with an eye for attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to consistently work to high levels of quality
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Good team player, with strong communication, presentation, documentation and influencing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Candidates must be eligible for, and will be required to obtain, SC clearance for this post (already having clearance is advantageous).
Networkers acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Networkers and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
- Telecommunications jobs in Germany
Why is the telecommunications market booming in Germany? And what job opportunities are available for the global telco...
- Why microservices are getting bigger
Find out how microservices compare to monolith applications and what this means for the development skills employers are loo...
Top in Development
- 4 of the highest paying jobs in software
Choosing what field of software to go into can be difficult. One thing to consider is how much you can expect to earn, eithe...
- 5 tips to tweak your CV for success
When applying for a role within a certain field, tweaking your CV ever so slightly towards the role can heighten your chance...