- Looking to hire?
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- Client portal
- About us
Service Delivery Manager
A Service Delivery Manager is accountable for effective delivery of complex, high risk products and services.
A Service Delivery Manager is accountable for effective delivery of complex, high risk products and services. They have strong communication skills and engage senior stakeholders to support the effective delivery of products and services.
The Senior Delivery Manager role is similar to the Delivery Manager role, but Senior Delivery Managers have had more experience across a range of products and services, throughout the entire lifecycle, and have greater responsibility and accountability as the main point of escalation. They coach and mentor Delivery Managers.
The role is part of a family of roles that ensure teams have the right environment to deliver the vision, products and services, iteratively. They work at the heart of teams to provide direction within a service or programme. They are accountable for stuff getting done, motivating and supporting teams, and helping them to work to the best of their ability.
They facilitate the team and remove obstacles and blockers that get in the way. They challenge approaches inside and outside of the team and facilitate a focus on the outcome. They have a deep understanding of agile and lean practices and make judgements on the use of appropriate tools and techniques. They deal with dependencies, identify and manage priorities, and ensure these are delivered.
* Manage key aspects (the plan, budget, governance, health & safety, etc.) of medium scale IT projects across lifecycle to reach agreed business and strategic benefits, and contribute to the management of contract compliance and risk in an effective way.
* Participate in skills gap analysis to identify key areas of project/programme management skills that need to be developed, ensuring the right skills are successfully transferred to team members and colleagues.
* Apply an appropriate programme/project management framework, to an agreed standard, when setting up projects, liaising with other Programme Managers or team members and related projects to ensure that work is neither overlooked nor duplicated.
* Support IT Group or Programme Leaders to drive delivery against the agreed plan, assisting specific issues and being accountable for particular saving achievements.
* Manage or supervise programme/projects teams, contributing to the team members' career development.
* Work with suppliers and other Directorates to ensure that all programmes/projects deliver best value and maximise benefits to customers, both during delivery and following completion.
* Participate in the PM community groups to provide specialist guidance and share best practices on programme/project management to assist colleagues and to enable the implementation of policy, projects and change initiatives.
Budget management responsibilities:
* Participate in tender evaluation and selection of suppliers to deliver multi-million pound projects
* Contribute to developing budget proposals for future years work
* Exercise financial governance, reporting and decision making to allow the client to fulfil its budget commitments.
Key contacts/relationships/stakeholders managed
* ITD Leadership team members
* Information Management, Service Operations, Service Design, Service Transition and Technology Programmes colleagues within the Directorate
* Stakeholders and other colleagues across all Directorates
* Key external stakeholders (DfT analysts, etc.)
* Project Managers
* Consultants, contractors and suppliers
Business Knowledge and Experience:
The projects and systems which the holder of the role will be working on to develop services will be wide ranging including operational systems with safety related functions to business critical systems. The types of systems and services to be defined, developed and delivered through this role will include but not be limited to the following:
* ITIL based service management processes tailored to the client's environment e.g. constrained by safety, environmental considerations and the operational models used to deliver, maintain and roadside and business technology.
The types of ITIL based services include:
* Incident, performance and problem management services
* Change management services
* Configuration management services
* Knowledge management services
* Traffic control services such as setting signals and the control and monitoring of roadside devices
* Business IT services such as the development of new solutions to store, share and analyse data collected from disparate sources
* Web based services using APIs and middleware that are implemented across one or more systems
- Salary for the role will be £40,911 - £45,004
- 26 days annual leave/year, increasing by 1 day per year to maximum of 31
- Auto enrolment into pension - 5% employee contribution and 10% company contribution
- 37 hours week with some flexibility around home working once 'normality' resumed, presently majority of roles are home based.
- Travel to other offices is paid for
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shopping benefits and vouchers
- Discretionary performance related pay up 10%