- Looking to hire?
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- Client portal
- About us
Principal Systems Engineer
Principal Systems Engineer - with flexible / hybrid working options
What you will do:
As a Principal Systems Engineer, you will typically be leading the technical work of a large team on the design, development and testing of secure systems, including, but not limited to; Information Management Systems, Command and Control systems, Security Monitoring of IT, IoT and CNI systems and services.
In this role you will have the opportunity to take ownership/implement the engineering delivery of one or more work packages, including the planning, estimation, execution and progress reporting of own workload and that of other team members.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Requirements definition and analysis - you will capture, interpret and analyse complex and often conflicting customer requirements
- System Design - you will contribute to, and lead on system design definition and possess the ability to expand high-level design into low-level design using technical experience, judgement and best practice
- Taking an in-depth role in technical design reviews
- Leading technology and feasibility studies - You will confidently select the best approach, tools and products for a given task and justify these choices
- Development, integration and test of system solutions including development of scripts in support of system automation and integration
- Progress and status reporting to internal customers
- Configuration and administration of system security tools including SIEM systems, IDS/IPS, Endpoint Detection and Response and others
- Troubleshooting system issues and faults to diagnose problems and offer proposed solutions.
- Implementation of security control measures, including enabling operating system lockdown controls
- Development of systems engineering artefacts, including documentation to support the delivery and maintenance of system solutions
- Mentoring other team members in area of specialism
- Providing specialist technical support to the business unit, supporting the project or wider programme (potential involvement in bid development/evaluation)
- Working with external third parties such as vendors / resellers, to develop robust & costed solutions
What we are looking for:
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience in a similar role, within systems engineering or IT solution delivery, and preferably working in a secure environment. You will possess a strong all round technical ability with an excellent working knowledge of network and systems infrastructure technologies. An awareness of cyber security capabilities is advantageous.
The role absolutely requires the candidate to be cleared to SC and willing to achieve DV clearance.
Desirable Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge:
Strong working knowledge and experience of Wintel IT systems with a broad scope of skills and experience of mainstream IT infrastructure services and components including:
- Microsoft Active Directory services
- Strong, practical knowledge and experience of Windows and Linux server installation and builds
- Cloud (AZURE & AWS)
- Virtualisation technologies including VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V
- Workstation builds and deployments including Microsoft WDS and MDT
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products
- A good working knowledge of the following Microsoft Products (e.g. Exchange, SQL, SCOM, ISA/TMG, IIS, SharePoint)
- Experience of taking a leading role in the implementation of security policies and system lockdowns including Microsoft Active Directory GPOs, application whitelisting/blacklisting and device/media control
- Implementation and management of enterprise class Patching/Update solution including Microsoft WSU
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.