- Looking to hire?
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- Client portal
- About us
9200BR- Linux Engineer
Linux Engineer - 6 month contract with the option to renew, part hybrid with a few days in the office per week. Daily Rate up to 500 pound per day inside.
Linux Engineer - JD- Worthing Contract
Job Description :
Overall purpose of the role The IT Linux Engineer is responsible for managing the high availability server infrastructure and associated operational services in line with the agreed Service Level Targets. Working with the other IT teams, such as Network Operations, Application Management, Security, the Service Desk, Strategy & Architecture and the project delivery teams to ensure close alignment and engagement in implementing major developments and enhancements within the existing IT infrastructure.
Scope of role
* Responsible for the resolution through 2nd & 3rd line support for all infrastructure issues;
* Maintenance of relevant IT policy and standards in line with appropriate best practice;
* Keep up-to date with the latest relevant technology, relevant standards, policies and directives;
* Liaise with internal governance and the relevant external authorities in order to ensure that we are moving towards an approved compliant infrastructure;
* Produce and maintain operations manuals/run books for the associated services for this team in line with corporate standards;
* Identifies and acts upon opportunities for continuous improvement to reduce operational risks, optimise efficiency and improve standards;
* Working with Strategy and Architecture to ensure that that the infrastructure and associated management tools are both supportable and maintainable;
* That product road maps and any associated remediation plans are in place to address operational risks.
Major accountabilities of role (6-10 short statements) Approx % of time spent in role
1. To provide 2nd line support and 3rd line covering 24x7 on call rota 60%
2. Contributor to SW Transition and Transformation Programmes of work. 10%
3. Defining and implementing IT quality assurance practices and procedures 10%
4. Ensuring that the appropriate IT technology standard requirements, methodology and processes are in place 10%
5. Attends and positively influences the appropriate technical and operational governance forums 10%
Experience and capability requirements Knowledge/experience:
* RHEL 5,6 & 7 experience
* Understanding of LVM
* SE Linux configuration
* Redhat Satellite, patch management
* Ansible automation
* Solaris 9 & 10 experience or relevant Unix knowledge
* Solaris LDOM
* Veritas Volume management
* GIT or SVN version control
* Cloud Platform experience - MS Azure or equivalent AWS
* Troubleshooting, Diagnostics & Event Log/Management
* Solarwinds configuration and management
* Virtualisation, VMWare vSphere, ESX and ESXi
* End point protection, DLP and GDPR (Symantec preferred)
* Scripting: Bash, Perl or Python
* Network fundamentals (Firewall, DNS, DHCP etc. from a client perspective) (preferred)
* Experience of working in a Transitional multi supplier environment within a large-scale organisation
* Experience of contributing to technical solution design and development leveraging existing tool suites and propose best of breed solutions.
* Experience in ensuring that infrastructure conforms to architectural principles (e.g. supportability, future-proofing, consolidation, standards and strategy.
* Demonstrable experience successfully challenging vendors on solution designs resulting in an improved product.
* Stakeholder management with experience of working effectively with all levels throughout the organisation.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, flexible and a proactive team player.
* Technical expertise within a service and technical environment with a demanding, fast-paced environment
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.