- Looking to hire?
- Career advice
- CV Information
- Employment advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Interview advice
- Client portal
- About us
8180BR - OS & VM Engineer
OS & VM Engineer - 6 month contract with option for renewal. Rate @ 415 pound per day inside IR 35
Overall purpose of the role The IT OS & VM Engineer is responsible for managing the high availability associated infrastructure and associated operational services in line with the agreed Service Level Targets. Working the other IT teams, such as Server Infrastructure, Network Operations, Application Management, Security, the Service Desk, Strategy & Architecture and the project delivery teams to ensure close alignment and engagement in implementing major developments and enhancements within the existing IT infrastructure.
Scope of role
- Responsible for the resolution through 2nd & 3rd line support for all infrastructure issues;
- Assisting in the transition of all Server infrastructure service & associated operational services from current supplier to the newly formed in-house Server Infrastructure Team;
- Assisting in the set up and maintenance of relevant IT policy and standards in line with appropriate best practice;
- Keep up-to date with the latest relevant technology, relevant standards, policies and directives;
- Liaise with internal governance and the relevant external authorities in order to ensure that we are moving towards an approved compliant infrastructure;
- Produce and maintain operations manuals/run books for the associated services for this team in line with corporate standards;
- Identifies and acts upon opportunities for continuous improvement to reduce operational risks, optimise efficiency and improve standards;
- Working with Strategy and Architecture to ensure that that the infrastructure and associated management tools are both supportable and maintainable;
- That product road maps and any associated remediation plans are in place to address operational risks.
Major accountabilities of role (6-10 short statements)
- To provide 2nd line support and 3rd line covering 24x7 on call rota
- Contributor to SW Transition and Transformation Programmes of work.
- Maintaining appropriate IT quality assurance practices and procedures and ensuring that the appropriate IT technology standard requirements, methodology and processes are in place
- Attends and positively influences the appropriate technical and operational governance forums
Experience and capability requirements Knowledge/experience:
- MCSC Qualification (preferred)
- Windows 7, 10, Server 2003, 2008R2, 2012, 2016 in an enterprise environment
- Unix and Linux fundamentals
- XenApp 4.x/5/6.X/ 7.X
- Citrix Netscaler (Access Gateway)
- PVS, Appsense, VMware * Hyper-V / SCVMM
- Core Infrastructure Services - AD, DNS, DHCP, DFS, DFS-R, Clustering, Highly availability solutions * SCCM * Troubleshooting, Diagnostics & Event Log/Management
- Solarwinds management * Active Directory (Users & Computers, Group Policy, DHCP, DNS)
- End point protection, DLP and GDPR (Symantec preferred)
- Scripting preferred (Powershell, VBScript)
- Experience of working in a Transitional multi supplier environment within a large-scale organisation
- Experience of contributing to technical solution design and development leveraging existing tool suites and propose best of breed solutions.
- Experience in ensuring that infrastructure conforms to architectural principles (e.g. supportability, future-proofing, consolidation, standards and strategy.
- Demonstrable experience successfully challenging vendors on solution designs resulting in an improved product.
- Stakeholder management with experience of working effectively with all levels throughout the organisation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, flexible and a proactive team player.
- Technical expertise within a service and technical environment with a demanding, fast-paced environment